As last year, the Mattzobricks Train Automation System 2.0 was successfully used on Dutchbricks “Bricktopia” show in October 2022 in Nederweert in the Netherlands to automate a beautiful LEGO train layout.
The layout will be showcased again with minor modifications in Geleen (NL, close to Aachen) on December 10 and 11.
The layout including the rolling stock was provided, built and automated by Joos Buijs.
This is the track plan of the layout:
These are the key figures of the layout:
- Size: about 3,5 x 5,50 meters
- 16 blocks
- 32 reed sensors
- Total track length of over 37 meters:
- 12 switches (of which 6 automated with Trixbrix motors)
- 218 straight tracks
- 78 curves
- 6 different trains concurrently on the track
- 60197 passenger train
- 60198 green cargo train
- 10277 Crocodile locomotive
- 60051 white intercity train
- 60336 cargo train
- 60337 passenger train
- Automation setup:
- 4 MattzoLayoutControllers (MLC), of which 3 with MCP23017 extensions for controlling layout components (sensors and switches).
- 2 MattzoTrainController for Bluetooth (MTC4BT) on ESP32’s to control all trains.
- Private Wifi router setup
- Laptop running Kubuntu, Mosquitto and Rocrail
The layout featured a lot of beautiful and well designed buildings from modular LEGO building expert and Dutchbricks board member Frank Derks. This included an automated tram going back and forth, bridges spanning a 25cm gap, and many custom buildings. There was even a zeppelin flying at 1m above the layout.
Check out this video about the show:
We are happy that the Mattzobricks Train Automation System 2.0 is adopted more and more by LEGO train experts and also used very successfully on large LEGO shows and displays.