The Mattzobricks Train Automation System 2.0 was successfully employed on Dutchbricks “Bricktopia” show in December 2021 in Geleen in the Netherlands to automate a wonderful LEGO train layout.
The layout including the main portion of the rolling stock was provided, built and automated by Joos Buijs.
This is the track plan of the layout:
These are the key figures of the layout:
- Size: about 2 x 5 meters
- 9 blocks
- 18 reed sensors
- 10 switches (4 automated)
- 5 different trains, 4 concurrent on the track
- 2x 60197 intercity train with 1 motor (front) and lights
- 60198 green cargo train
- Crocodile motorized cargo train
- 7939 yellow cargo train
- Custom build white passenger train by Frank Derks
- Automation setup:
- 2 MattzoLayoutControllers with firmware v0.4.1, controlling all layout components (sensors and switches).
- 1 MattzoTrainController for Bluetooth (MTC4BT) with a pre-release of firmware v0.5, controlling all trains.
- Private Wifi router setup
- Laptop running Kubuntu, Mosquitto and Rocrail
This is the Rocrail track plan:
The ‘loop’ near the laptop was programmed so that only the yellow intercity would stop there at the second station. In theory trains could also change direction here but this would have reduced the number of concurrent trains.
The layout was remarkable not just because of its automation, but also because it featured some very beautiful and well designed buildings from modular LEGO building expert and Dutchbricks board member Frank Derks.
Check out this video about the show:
Have a look at this stunning impressions from the layout.
We are happy that the Mattzobricks Train Automation System 2.0 is adopted more and more by LEGO train experts and also used very successfully on large LEGO shows and displays.