In 2023, the Mattzobricks Train Automation System 2.0 was successfully used on Dutchbricks “Bricktopia” show in May 2023 in Nederweert in the Netherlands to automate a beautiful LEGO train layout.
The layout including the rolling stock was provided, built and automated by Joos Buijs.
This is the track plan of the layout:
These are the key figures of the layout:
- Size: about 2 x 4,60 meters
- 10 blocks
- 20 reed sensors
- 4 light signals with 3 aspects
- Total track length of over 20 meters:
- 10 switches (of which 5 automated with Trixbrix motors)
- 128 straight tracks
- 40 curved tracks
- 6 trains concurrently on the track
- 60197 passenger train
- 60198 green cargo train
- 10277 Crocodile locomotive
- 60051 white intercity train
- 60336 cargo train
- 60337 passenger train
- Automation setup
- 4 MattzoLayoutControllers (MLC), of which 3 with MCP23017 extensions for controlling layout components (sensors, switches and signals).
- 4 MattzoTrainController for Bluetooth (MTC4BT) on ESP32’s to control all trains.
- Private Wifi router setup
- Laptop running Kubuntu, Mosquitto and Rocrail
This is the Rocrail plan of the layout:
The layout featured a lot of beautiful and well designed buildings from modular LEGO building expert and Dutchbricks board member Frank Derks. This included many custom buildings and even a zeppelin flying at 1m above the layout.
Check out this video about the show:
We are happy that the Mattzobricks Train Automation System 2.0 is adopted more and more by LEGO train experts and also used very successfully on large LEGO shows and displays.