Welcome to MattzoBricks Forums MattzoBricks General Forum Machine Quality, Screws, axles, bearings

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      David AndersonDavid Anderson
      Participant

Bah. This Lego system. The bearings are precise and will not fit, equally they are slightly 005 under..one out of ten are over sized and will slide on without force. The other need to be set manually to 6.75mm from the end of the axle, with a set tool (vise) in, out, in out, adjust and adjust to 6.75 precisely to sit onto the screws on center. The grub screws are setting straight, however they are not all equally or evenly machined on the outer hex end. Measurements are coming close to .1 irregular on the screws, most of the screws are precise. Under magnification, the metal is sharp and tall, then flat and short, that is uneven. This is not fun. Six off the start are ok, now I have a problem wheel holder. I have set it aside, and another one is the exact problem. Six ok, two bad, in that order. Interesting. All the axles are 2.0mm, which is good, however the bearings are under, which is good if you want to press fit them. The bearings will not all slide on, only a few out of 200 will slide. Anyway. Amazon may be a dumping ground for Chinese parts, the purchase did not state the country of origin. Excellent? So, the slow process continues. I can use the under size press fit bearings with a block tool filed to 6.75 to batch size the ends in process. Then the screws all need to be thrown out, I believe it is not worth proceeding. Only a few more bad apples then I will stop. Anyway. I did enjoy your video and the instructions are clear, it’s the variation in parts that is the problem, which I believe you saw in your kit of parts page. Inconsistent supply. That is happening here at home.

David AndersonDavid Anderson
      Participant

So. No big deal. The .01mm variation in the grub screws. These you adjust to the minimum depth plus or minus a thousand. Test the wheel spin, and look at the depth by eye.

The bearings you learn to spin by 1/16ths turns of the grub screw. Eventually your eye is trained and these go together fast, with excellent results.

The variation in the steel and chrome axles, you get used to. Some bearings slide on, others do not. Keep a tray of the bearings out 200 of them, and pick out one of 20 to 30 will fit. It’s something in manufacturing for sure. Drawn metal with electroplated chrome. The inside diameter of the bearings are equally off by .005 plus or minus.

These small variations, eventually the bearings go on the axles, and then you fit the grub screws, and test spin.

That’s all. Nothing too complicated.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.