Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Edwin BlomEdwin Blom
      Participant

Hello,
      I have my MTC4PU controllers working but very often a command (speed, stop, lights) from Rocrail only arrives after 3-4 seconds at the PU HUB. The communication between Rocrail and the MQTT broker responds immediately and the MQTT Broker also immediately publishes the command. However, when monitoring a controller on the Arduino serial monitor, I can see that the signal published by the MQTT broker only arrives with a delay to the controller.
      It looks like the problem often does not occur directly after starting a controller but increases in frequency later on which makes me wonder if there is some buffer or so that is full.
      I have three MTC4PU controllers and they all have the same problem.
      My sensor, signal and switch controllers do not suffer from delays and always respond immediately.

I have no clue where to look for, any help would be much appreciated.
      Thx
      Edwin

Joos BuijsJoos Buijs
      Keymaster

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for your message. I did not let my layout run for longer periods yet, but could you indicate after which time period you notice a delay? (minutes, an hour, 2 hours, etc.).

As I will encounter this issue as well soon I might look into it further in the coming weeks (no promises though :)). I’ll keep you posted!

Edwin BlomEdwin Blom
        Participant

Joost,

Sometimes it’s immediately and sometimes after minutes. It’s random; for example today one of the three controllers responded immediately whereas the other two suffered from the delays.

Luuk vBLuuk vB
      Participant

I can relate to this problem, in particular my trains in 30% of cases don’t start driving after a rocrail non-zero speed command. In that case they will usually start only after power off and on. It also seems to occur more the longer my controllers are on ( after say 5 mins). The lay-out controllers work totally fine.

Edwin BlomEdwin Blom
      Participant

It’s been a while and I have setup my winter village (pics will follow when finished). I have three trains (4 hubs) running on MTCPU (last year firmware) and one train running on MTC4BT. All trains still have the problem with (not) responding to stop commands. Has anyone been able to resolve this? Many thanks in advance.

Joos BuijsJoos Buijs
        Keymaster

Hi Edwin,

Could you upgrade to the latest 0.6.1 version? There were several significant improvements made in the meantime.

I ran 4 hubs on one MTC4BT controller for over 90 minutes this week so it should be doable, although I don’t have experience with the MTC4PU code and stability.

Please keep us posted!

Kind regards,
        Joos

Edwin BlomEdwin Blom
      Participant

Joos,
      Thanks for the response. I have now been able to configure all the trains in a single MTC4BT controller and not using MTC4PU controllers anymore.
      The “full ignore” of the stop signal has not re-appeared but I still have a lag before a stop signal arrives when a sensor is being activated. This weekend I will carefully check RocRail settings and see if this might be the issue. Will keep you posted.

Matthias RunteMatthias Runte
      Keymaster

We have optimized some internal settings within MTC4BT to speed up processing. We will publish a new release soon and also plan to open up the git repository to the public. Stay tuned…

Joos BuijsJoos Buijs
      Keymaster

Hi Edwin,

great to read that upgrading helped with the majority of your problems.

There is indeed a lag between the sensor trigger and the train actually stopping.
      A few things I learned that might help:
      1. I try to set the min. speed of trains as low as possible
      2. Place in sensors in the third track piece from a switch for instance to allow for enough room. If a block is always travelled in the same direction then the enter sensor is best placed as early as possible in the block.
      3. I disabled BBT (Block Brake Timer) and set Rocrail to go to min speed as soon as a train is entering a block and should stop (block settings -> details -> stop -> min).

For me this worked in preventing crashes 95% of the time.

Hope this helps!

Edwin BlomEdwin Blom
      Participant

Thanks for the advice Joos. I have implemented your tips. Number of crashes has reduced 🙂 but not fully eliminated. I cannot easily change my sensor position, it’s a compact layout all with ballasted tracks on MILS. I will try for one block to use the entry sensor as a enter+in and see if that helps but I guess I am really waiting for the update as outlined by Matthias. Thanks again.

Matthias RunteMatthias Runte
      Keymaster

Happy to hear that. Somewhere on the website there are some tipps for improving performance of the automation. Did you find that?

May I also propose to shift the discussion to the MTC4BT topic? This is the MTC4PU forum. 🙂

Thanks!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.